We have been training in karate for the belt we just received. It required of us to do 75 squats, 25 push-ups, 25 v-ups and 25 shoulder-bridge-reaches along with all of the katas, self-defense techniques, weapons forms, sparring, power karate and explosive kicks. It was 2 of the most intense hours I have spent. It was purely amazing!
With all of that training, I have also been keeping up with my other workouts. My family will tell you it is vital that I workout, or I am not the best mom, wife, daughter, sister, or friend. It is part of me and I like it there. However, after all of this training, I needed to let myself rest, heal and recover.
Today I thought about my workout ‘why’. I thought about how it has changed with my life. I remember when I came home from my mission, I had gained a lot of weight. My ‘why’ was losing that before my soon-to-be husband returned home from his mission. That why got me completely addicted to working out. After having each one of my kids, my ‘why’ was returning to my pre-baby healthy self, so that I could keep up with them.
Now my ‘why’ is the best one I have ever had. It has come at a time in my life why I have struggled with overcoming many demons and trials. My ‘why’ is simply, Because I Can.
I have found so much strength physically, mentally and spiritually pushing my body to its limits. Reaching a point in my life where I feel like I deserve to be strong has been quite liberating. There have been so many days when I have felt so selfish taking an hour and working out. It is very selfish, and I am good with that. You see, I need to take time to take care of me so that I can take care of my family and those who need me. There are things that I need to do to stay strong on every level, so that I have what is needed. Working out to the limit is one of those things.
Because I can, I will
- push myself to see how strong I am.
- do things I don’t really want to, because I know I will be stronger.
- find strength that I never knew existed.
- motivate those around me to be healthy and happy.
- learn more about myself and who I truly am.
- find pure exhilaration when I am completely sweaty, stinky and spent.
- celebrate when I have overcome.
- get up when I don’t want to.
- see that I am worth every ounce of pain and moment of learning.
- realize that I am amazing.
- understand that everything I succeed at allows me to do it again and again.
This is a gift I have been given today….my WHY.